Record Year for Preservation Awards
Gazette Article by: Courtney Jennings
Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 2009
It was a very good year for preservation in Winnetka! On June 16, at the Village Council Meeting, the Winnetka Landmark Preservation Commission named eight Winnetka properties winners of Preservation Awards. The Preservation Awards Program honors construction or reconstruction projects in the Village that help to preserve the history and character of Winnetka. There are three categories: Restoration, Rehabilitation and New Construction.
Christ Church’s Dovecot Chapel won the Restoration Award for work that included sandblasting the exterior, repairing the terra cotta roof, installing new copper gutters and downspouts, replacing wood doors/windows, and repairing the stained glass windows. Gill Farmer and Edward S. Prevost oversaw the project, and the contractor was NCS Construction Management.
Six residences received the Rehabilitation award: 507 Cedar, owned by Michael Levitin and Meredith Mendes, architecture by David Roberts; 564 Meadow, owned by Richard and Merrilee Redmond, architecture by R. Scott Javore and Associates; 175 Sheridan, owned by Pat and Lorill Haynes, architecture by Charles Cook; 1089 Spruce, owned by Colin and Robyn Hall, architecture by R. Scott Javore and Associates; 790 Bryant, owned by Peter and Lisa Beebe, architecture by Healy Rice; and 500 Maple, owned by Nan and Wally Greenough, architecture by Behles and Behles.
In the New Construction category the winner was 785 Walden, owned by Chris and Laura Janssen, architecture by the Reynolds Group.