Tag Archives: Architects

Dwight and Larry Perkins: Architects for Winnetka’s Schools

Gazette Article by: Connie Heaton Goddard Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1999 That Crow Island School, with its slender chimney and off-center clock, draws attention from students of architecture worldwide is well-known. Of equal renown were the father and son pair of architects who were chiefly responsible for the school’s distinguished design and compatibility with […]

140 Sheridan Road

Gazette Article by: Laurie Petersen Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 2009 *House of the Season: The Felix Lowy House* <img src=”images/36t.jpg” class = “left” />Designed by Mayo and Mayo in 1925, the Felix Lowy House at 140 Sheridan Road is one of Winnetka’s most formal examples of the popular Tudor Revival style. The design takes […]

Winnetka’s First Real Estate Boom a Bust

Article by Frank A. Windes, Winnetka Village Engineer Reprinted from the Winnetka Talk, March 8, 1930 Appeared in Gazette: Spring 1994 As we sit here in modern-day Winnetka concerned with such issues as real estate taxes, property values, schools, lakefront erosion, recycling, and changes in our refuse-collection service, it is interesting to reminisce about how […]

haag_the_corner_stone_of_the_castle_2

Charles Haag

Gazette Article by: Stephanie Giordano Appeared in the Gazette: Spring/Summer 2007 The Historical Society’s recent acquisition of four works by Winnetka sculptor Charles Haag spurred research into his life and art. Haag’s local legacy includes an enigmatic sculpture on Sheridan Road, an unusual grave marker in Christ Church cemetery, and two intriguing houses. Charles Haag […]