Tag Archives: Fall 1998

Skokie School Foundation

Gazette Article by: Joan Peck Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1998 Longtime Winnetkans Heather Higgins and Rachelle Brisk believed the architecturally significant building should be preserved. Launching a campaign to save the school, they wore T-shirts bearing the message “Save Skokie School” and leafleted Elm Street on Saturday mornings. Soon they had collected enough signatures […]

760 Bryant_cropped

760 Bryant Avenue

Gazette Article by: Cindy Fuller Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1998 Tribute to a Classic Style The house at 760 Bryant Avenue is a classic example of Colonial Revival, an architectural style that has remained popular in America for over 200 years. Together with “Winnetka Tudor,” Colonial Revival houses are the most commonly seen in […]

North Shore Country Day School

Gazette Article by: William Hinchliff Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1998 North Shore Country Day School was founded in 1919 by a group of Winnetka families, including the Boals, Wallings, Clarks, and Mordocks. Intrigued with a school concept that had recently sprung up in the East, they wanted to create such a school in Winnetka. […]

Saints Faith, Hope and Charity

Gazette Article by: Malachi Flanagan, M.D. Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1998 Founded in 1936, Saints Faith, Hope and Charity Parish was named in honor of three young girls who were martyred in Rome early in the second century. The late Cardinal George Mundelein purchased a 3.5-acre lot at the corner of Linden Street, Hill […]

Lady Elgin Stern in Winnetka Unlikely

Gazette Article by: Thomas S. Hermes Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1998 Another clue to the mystery of the sunken ship lying off Winnetka’s lakeshore has been uncovered. The Winnetka Historical Society recently has discovered the results of a report from the Underwater Archeological Society of Chicago (UASC). These contradict earlier opinions that the wreckage […]

“N” is for Neighborhood Circles

Gazette Article by: Chris Fullerton Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1998 Several years ago when the Minnesota Historical Society reopened its exhibit area, a unique approach was taken to interpret its history from “A to Z.” Various objects and topics were depicted by “letters,” and visitors moved through the gallery “alphabetically.” The editorial board of […]

Saints Faith, Hope and Charity

Gazette Article by: Malachi Flanagan, M.D. Appeared in the Gazette: Fall 1998 Founded in 1936, Saints Faith, Hope and Charity Parish was named in honor of three young girls who were martyred in Rome early in the second century. The late Cardinal George Mundelein purchased a 3.5-acre lot at the corner of Linden Street, Hill […]