Gazette Article by Bean Carroll, Fall/Winter 2002
In 1854, the first trains arrived in Winnetka. With the building of the Chicago and Milwaukee Railroad, Winnetka began its long history of train travel to and from Chicago. At the beginning, there were only two tracks in the Village with two trains a day. At that time, the majority of residents traveled by horse and buggy and safety risks at the railroad crossings were infrequent. As transportation improved and the automobile was invented, the electric train also made its debut in Winnetka. There were now four railroad tracks going through town. With the increased ease of travel to the city, the population of Winnetka grew, as did the number of automobiles, cyclists and pedestrians. This led to greater confusion at the street level railroad grade crossings. In 1909, there were 177 daily steam engine trains passing by and stopping in Winnetka.
The increase in rail traffic also resulted in an increase in the number of crossing fatalities. In the 25 years prior to a fatal accident in 1937, there were 29 fatalities with numerous injuries at the crossings. The Village of Winnetka and the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad tried to solve this problem by increasing the number of gates and hiring additional employees to hold stop signs as trains passed through. But these actions did not resolve the problem. Driving home from the Community House Halloween party on October 20, 1937, Janet Getgood and Sibyl Collins Brittain were killed instantly by an empty, unlighted train on the southbound tracks of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad at the Pine Street crossing. The gates failed to operate in time and the two women were the 30th and 31st persons to lose their lives at Winnetka railroad crossings.
These 1937 fatalities were the straw that broke the camel’s back. Janet Getgood’s husband was the director of the Community House. Though Mr. Getgood made no public statement about the tragedy or his personal loss, the outraged community insisted on immediate action. The Village had considered a grade separation over the prior 20 years. Village Engineer Frank Windes had recommended a plan to lower the grade of the tracks in 1906. Though this was more expensive than grade elevation, it would not create a divided community as experienced in other towns. Instituted in 1930, FDR’s New Deal provided aid to Winnetka. At the time, former resident Harold Ickes was the Secretary of the Interior as well as the Administrator of the PWA (Public Works Administration) program started by FDR. With help from Ickes and an agreement among Winnetkans, the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad and the North Shore Electric, funding was obtained for the grade depression. The PWA funded 45% of the project, the Village funded 29%, and the remainder of the project was funded by the railroad companies. The Big Ditch ran from Indian Hill to Hubbard Woods. It included seven bridges, two pedestrian bridges, as well as the three train stations and necessary retaining walls. Finished in 1943, the project took five years to complete.
Early Winnetka railroad crossings and consequent fatalities led to one of the most progressive civil engineering projects of its time. Winnetkans can be thankful to those who were so forward thinking. We should remember each time we cross the railroad tracks that the risk has been eliminated. A major civil engineering project sits in our midst – the Big Ditch.