Position Title: Curator
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Collections Interns, Volunteers
The Winnetka Historical Society educates people on the stories of our past, in an effort to enrich our present and inspire our future. We promote awareness of Winnetka’s heritage through artifact collection and preservation, public access to our research center, and enlightening programs, exhibits, and publications.
• Responsible for registration, including paperwork for new donations and loans and updating old accession records
• Responsible for management, care, inventory, and research of the artifact, photograph, archives, and costume collections, including cataloging new donations and collections backlog.
• Digitization of 2D artifacts, photography of 3D artifacts.
• Develop and maintain all reference collections (library, building and reference files, etc.).
• Manage documentation of collections information in Past Perfect and Past Perfect On-line database.
• Implement and update collections and research policies and procedures following museum standards and best practices
• Research and assist in writing grants to support collections and digitization projects.
• Oversee collections/museum volunteers and hire and train interns.
Exhibits and Research
• With Executive Director, develop, plan, install, transport and manage exhibitions (including traveling exhibits) and advise on preservation issues of exhibition.
• Manage reproduction rights.
• Provide reference services to patrons and access to collections, completing research requests.
• Conduct Demolition request research.
• Write articles for website and newsletter.
• Provide collections advice and support to WHS program staff.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Public History, Museum Studies, or similar.
• Experience with Past Perfect Database.
• 1-3 years of experience in a museum or library setting in the area of collections management.
• Experience with archives and digitization.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to lift up to 40 pounds or more and traverse stairs.
Please apply only through Indeed HERE