The Winnetka Historical Society is an organization that relies on its dedicated, hardworking volunteers to exist. In fact, the WHS started out as an all volunteer club, mainly history enthusiasts that loved their community and loved to discuss, collect, and celebrate “old-timey” things.
Today, the WHS is a dynamic, professional organization focused on community education through historical exhibits, museum collections and archives with a clear and defined collecting scope, educational programming, events that celebrate the historic character of the Village and the surrounding communities.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Historical Society, please fill out a volunteer application for or contact the curator at email@example.com, or call the museum Monday-Thursday at 847-446-0001Volunteer Form
Schmidt-Burnham Log House docents/facilitators
- Work Sunday afternoons from 1:30-4:30 (May through November) to facilitate exhibit exploration, assist with our scavenger hunt or play pioneer games with visitors. (A Sunday sign-up sheet is distributed – it’s not a requirement to work every Sunday)
- Training is provided.
Prints & images digital inventory
- Scanning photographs at industry standards, renaming scanned files, straightening and cropping scans in Photoshop, connecting scanned photos to PastPerfect, and updating catalog descriptions.
- Some volunteers choose to do one piece of the project – for example only scanning and renaming files – while others choose to complete each step for a selected number of photographs.
- No scanning or cataloging experience is necessary; training is provided.
- However, volunteers for this project should be comfortable using a computer and working independently.