The Winnetka Historical Society is an organization that relies heavily on its dedicated, hardworking volunteers to exist. In fact, the WHS started out as an all volunteer club, mainly history enthusiasts that loved their community and loved to discuss, collect, and celebrate “old-timey” things.
Today, the WHS is a dynamic, professional organization focused on community education through historical exhibits, museum collections and archives with a clear and defined collecting scope, educational programming, events that celebrate the historic character of the Village, and much more.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Historical Society, please come by during our open hours, contact the director at email@example.com, or call the museum M-F at 847-446-0001.
A few of our current ongoing volunteer opportunities:
Schmidt-Burnham Log House docents
- Put on a historic pioneer costume (or come as you are) at the Schmidt-Burnham Log House
- Work one Sunday a month, seasonally, to chat with, conduct tours, and answer questions of public visitors.
- Docent training is provided.
Prints & images digital inventory
- Scanning photographs at industry standards, renaming scanned files, straightening and cropping scans in Photoshop, connecting scanned photos to PastPerfect, and updating catalog descriptions.
- Some volunteers choose to do one piece of the project – for example only scanning and renaming files – while others choose to complete each step for a selected number of photographs.
- No scanning or cataloging experience is necessary; training is provided.
- However, volunteers for this project should be comfortable using a computer and working independently.
Winnetka Building Research Survey
- We are in the process of creating an inventory of the homes in the village. This is a two-fold process requiring taking a current photo of each house and research on the history of the house, done at Village Hall and at the museum. Volunteers are needed for each function; those interested in only doing one or the other are welcome.