The Schmidt-Burnham Log House was built in the 1830s and is named for the Schmidt family, who immigrated from Germany in 1839 and lived in the historic house, and also for the Burnham family, who called it home from 1917 to 2001. Research indicates that the Schmidt-Burnham Log House is the oldest log structure in Cook County still in use. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the c. 1837 Schmidt-Burnham Log House has been open to the public since 2006. CLICK HERE to read more about the history of the Schmidt-Burnham Log House.
Due to the Coronavirus the Schmidt Burnham Log House is closed to the public until further notice. Feel free to visit Crow Island Woods and view the amazing exterior! We apologize for the inconvenience.
1140 Willow, Winnetka, IL
From I94: Exit Willow Road east, travel approximately 1 mile. The house is located just past Hibbard Road on the south side of the street.
View Larger Map
Park on Euclid to the west or on Willow Road just east of the house, in front of Crow Island School. There is limited parking on the gravel drive to the west of the house.
Sam Otis' Log House Plan, 1958
In 1958, Sam Otis, architect and active member of the Winnetka Historical Society, proposed to move the Log House to the corner of Arbor Vitae and Elm. Almost half a century later, the Log House was moved, though not to the location Otis had planned. Instead, it was relocated to Crow Island Woods, where it remains today.