In 1941, Anita Willets-Burnham told the Winnetka Talk that she hoped the Log House would one day belong to the Winnetka Historical Society. In 2001, her daughter Ann honored her wish and donated the house in her will.
A steadfast team of Winnetka Historical Society members, spearheaded by Joan Evanich, took on the difficult tasks of moving it to Crow Island Woods and restoring it. Restoration efforts lasted from 2003 until 2006, when it opened to the public.
In June 2005, the Schmidt-Burnham Log House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now recognized as the oldest log structure in Cook County still in use.
CLICK HERE to read more about the Log House’s move to Crow Island Woods.
Schmidt-Burnham Log House Opens to Public – Fall 2006