Churches of the 19th Century
In 1869, Winnetka’s first church, Garland Church (later renamed Christ Church), was founded. By the end of the 19th century, the Village had three additional churches: First Scandinavian Church (later renamed Winnetka Bible Church), Winnetka Congregational Church, and Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
Learn more about the histories of Winnetka’s oldest churches. Click HERE.
Churches of the 20th Century
Although Winnetka had several churches by the close of the 19th century, parishioners of various faiths continued looking for new places to worship. Winnetkans developed several additional places to worship, including First Church of Christ, Scientist, Saints Faith, Hope and Charity Catholic Church, Winnetka Presbyterian Church, Congregation Hakafa, and the Lake Shore Unitarian Society.
Learn more about the congregations founded in the 20th century. Click HERE.
Scroll through the gallery to see images of Winnetka’s many historic churches from the 19th century to the present. Look HERE.